Feb 29, 2016
This is a special edition of Pushing The Edge.
Bill Ivey and Christina Torres return to discuss: How to be ally for social justice in education.
It can be quite a learning curve, filled with many questions and uncertainties.
What if we want to speak up but don’t fully understand the issues, or the correct language to use?
What if we slip up and say the wrong thing?
Our guests have been there, believe me, and they’ve got some especially useful tips and insights to share.
But that’s not all.
There’s a topic I’ve been wanting to discuss for quite a while but I’ve been too scared to raise it publicly.
Well finally I let it out into the world and it leads to an especially interesting discussion.
For full Show-Notes, go to: http://PushingTheEdge.org/27
▪ Do you know what you just said? How Bill's navigates being challenged(1:41)
▪ The importance of decentering ourselves (2:23)
▪ How might we get more people on board with social justice issues (2:43)
▪ Bill's tips about participating in diverse spaces (5:18)
▪ Owning up when we're wrong - Christina Torres(8:02)
▪ An Aha Moment: Christina slips up and a students calls it out (8:43)
▪ Speaking up about something I've been too scared to mention - Greg (10:25)
▪ Christina's tips for participating in diverse spaces (14:04)
▪ Helpful Strategies to navigate unfamiliar, diverse paces (17:45)
▪ A key lesson: The work is so much more important than whether the person likes me (19:51)
▪ Teaching Students about Identity and Privilege with Bill Ivey - http://PushingTheEdge.org/25
▪ Empowering our Students to be Change-Makers with Christina Torres - http://PushingTheEdge.org/24
▪ Ending White Silence on Race in Education with Greg Michie - http://PushingTheEdge.org/26
▪ Stand with Us for Social Justice in Education by @GregBCurran - http://PushingTheEdge.org/stand-up
▪ Tips for Making Twitter Chats more Inclusive by @GregBCurran - http://PushingTheEdge.org/26b
▪ Bill Ivey on Twitter - https://twitter.com/bivey
▪ Christina Torres on Twitter - https://twitter.com/biblio_phile
▪ Christina Torres' Website - https://christinatorres.org/
▪ Jose Vilson on Twitter - https://twitter.com/TheJLV
▪ Beverly Daniel Tatum - https://goo.gl/Lza0Zg
▪ Educolor Website - http://www.educolor.org/
Social Justice Resources: http://PushingTheEdge.org/social-justice-resources
Greg Curran on Twitter - https://twitter.com/GregBCurran