Dec 19, 2015
How can we support and empower students to make change happen?
How can we empower them to be change-makers who challenge and transform unjust systems?
Well, we've gotta dislodge and disrupt the stories of oppression and victim-hood that are so prevalent.
We've gotta review and re-frame the ways we talk about ourselves and our communities.
We've gotta tell stories of persistence, positivity, hope, joy and achievement.
It all starts with re-thinking our business as usual in schools. And on that count we've got quite a few tips and insights to share.
For complete show-notes go to: http://PushingTheEdge.org/24
▪ How Christina Torres Pushes The
▪ How to center social justice
around students and their worlds (2:14)
▪ How Christina's students pushed back & resisted (3:38)
▪ Race: Seeing ourselves in power, in diverse roles (7:26)
▪ How to teach for student agency (10:34 & 12:27)
▪ Re-thinking how we view and talk about particular communities (11:26 & 14:47)
▪ Re-thinking how we view and talk about 'success' (16:15)
▪ Empowering students to recognize their capital (22:07)
▪ Why we need to name ourselves with empowered language (23:08)
▪ Getting beyond stories of oppression - moving toward hope, joy, persistence and possibility (25:16)
>▪ Getting beyond obedience
and polite 'critical thinking' (27:50)
▪ The Lightning Round - defiance, vulnerability, cultural capital, teacher-leader, agency, and advice (30:32)
▪ A Not To Be Missed Take-Away (34:56)
▪ Christina Torres' Blog -
▪ Christina Torres on Twitter -
▪ The Language of Power by
Christina Torres - http://goo.gl/AUu48p
▪ The United Farm Workers' Union
▪ The Unity Clap (Union protest
tool) - https://youtu.be/CYOHnxYg50I
▪ The Giver by Lois Lowry -
▪ Martin Luther King Junior -
▪ Grace Lee Boggs - https://goo.gl/4h0Jlo
▪ Student Organize, Community
Activist and Educator: Xian Barrett - https://twitter.com/xianb8
▪ Surin McGrory - Re-thinking how
we view Indigenous Students - http://pushingtheedge.org/15
▪ Educolor Resource Page -
Listen to More
▪ From Student Voice to Agency
with Stephanie Thompson - http://pushingtheedge.org/23
▪ Questioning and transforming
our communities with Nakisha Hobbs - http://pushingtheedge.org/22
▪ Activating Student Voice with
Silvia Gonzalez - http://pushingtheedge.org/21
▪ Step back and let young people
take the lead with Laura Hill - http://pushingtheedge.org/8