Feb 28, 2017
I have a confession to make. I love footy shows. I cannot get enough of them, as they dissect seemingly every move of each game in the AFL, the Australian Football League.
And yet I've always found the straight, white blokiness of most of these footy shows, problematic.
Whilst there's occasional nods to diversity or diversity-related issues, they're never central to these shows.
Then I discovered 'The Outer
Sanctum' podcast. I took it out with me on my Friday morning walk
around the neighborhood, and it's been a regular companion since
It's a show that's defied my expectations, giving space to voices rarely heard in the mainstream sports media and consistently tackling issues of racism, sexism, and homophobia within the AFL.
The Outer Sanctum Podcast fires
me up. It intrigues me and draws me in. It makes me laugh. In a
time, where hate-related speech dominates the landscape, it makes
me happy and fills me with hope.
So I was pretty stoked when I had the chance to chat to two of the hosts from the Outer Sanctum Podcast.
For full Show-Notes, go to http://pushingtheedge.org/sports
Nicole Hayes and Kate Seear, two of the six hosts of The Outer Sanctum Podcast
Episode 31 Run-down
▪ Kate and Nicole introduce themselves
▪ Why inclusion matters to The Outer Sanctum
▪ Getting beyond "pale, male and stale" in footy (Kim Toffoletti quote)
▪ Grassroots change: How everyday people are making their sporting clubs more inclusive
▪ Using our privilege to bring about change
▪ Kick n Coffee Community Event: Learning skills we were never taught
▪ Feeling comfortable in our skin - in sport
▪ Why a focus on relationships (with sport) is so important
▪ Why the personal is political in sport
▪ The power of independent media - for change
▪ Why listening to diverse voices is crucial - for the development of sports
▪ The Lightning Round: Inner versus outer in football, diverse voices, participation, privilege
▪ Check out the Show Links plus 'Sports Resources with a Social Justice Edge'
▪ READ my 'Falling in and out of love with footy' post - inspired by The Outer Sanctum's 'how's your relationship with footy?' segment
Support Pushing The Edge Podcast
If this episode got you thinking or inspired you - please share it, rate it, or write a short review of it in iTunes.
Check out the 'Pushing The Edge with Greg Curran' podcast archive.
Connect with me, Greg Curran, on Twitter
Thanks for listening and your ongoing support.