Mar 14, 2016
Transformative moments: The moments where you come face to face with a stark realization, that changes how you see yourself, your life and the world around you.
And life from hereon - is different - if you choose to make it so.
That's what happened to our guest, Justin Schleider, who comes to realize his privilege as a White, Straight, Middle Class Educator.
But that's not all, we're also talking Fear: Fear of The Other.
In this case, refugees seeking asylum in our countries.
It's a fear that has Justin facing his own family history.
And of course, we've also got the Lightning Round where we're pushing the edges of Money, Discomfort, Growth Mindset, and being a white educator.
Plus we ponder - can we ever stop being educators?
For full Show-Notes, go to: http://PushingTheEdge.org/28
▪ How Justin Pushes the Edge (2:09)
▪ How Justin came to branch out beyond what's normal for him (2:51)
▪ How Justin came to realize his privilege & began stepping out beyond it (6:30)
▪ Learning to keep our mouths shut (8:55)
▪ Learning, reading, conversing, and finding out more (11:24)
▪ Facing conflict online - Justin's experience and how he responded(14:10)
▪ 'One Word Fear' | Justin confronts his fear of refugees seeking asylum (18:14)
▪ Justin connects to his grandparents' story and The Holocaust(21:48)
▪ Why Justin published his post about his fear (23:03)
▪ How Justin teaches about difference in Health Classes (25:56)
▪ How reaching out beyond what's familiar has benefited Justin and his students (28:34)
▪ The Lightning Round - White Educator, Money, Discomfort, Growth Mindset, White Privilege, Ever Stop Being a Teacher (32:01)
▪ Justin's parting thoughts on the 'hidden curriculum' and teaching about difference and empathy (36:52)
▪ How to navigate social justice in the classroom with Rusul Alrubail - http://PushingTheEdge.org/13
▪ Ending White Silence on Race in Education with Greg Michie - http://PushingTheEdge.org/26
▪ Being a Better Ally for Social Justice with Christina Torres and Bill Ivey - http://PushingTheEdge.org/27
▪ Justin Schleider on Twitter - https://twitter.com/SchleiderJustin
▪ Justin's blog - https://slowchatpe.wordpress.com
▪ Justin's article - One Word Fear - https://slowchatpe.wordpress.com/2016/01/01/one-word-fear/
▪ Rafranz Davis - http://rafranzdavis.com
▪ Rusul Alrubail - http://www.rusulalrubail.com
Social Justice Resources: http://PushingTheEdge.org/social-justice-resources
Greg Curran on Twitter - https://twitter.com/GregBCurran